Sunday, October 22, 2017

Nashville, Day 4

This was our last full day in Nashville, but what a grand day it was. :(

We'd heard that East Nashville was a good place for shopping. So, we headed there. Taking us there, we had the worst Uber driver I've ever encountered. He did not say one word to us. When I asked if he was David, to verify that he was our driver, he just grunted at me. He also pulled out in front of oncoming traffic. He tailgated motorcycles and was literally inches away from them going fast. At stops, he would be inches from the motorcycles. Let's just say that he earned a poor rating and we were so happy to get out of the car. We found out that most stores were closed on Monday, so we didn't get much shopping in. We did see this cute sign though.

We headed back to downtown for lunch and souvenir shopping. We ate at Fresco Southwestern Grille which was in a office building downtown. The owner was friendly and engaging. The food, however, was boring and bland.

Next, we walked to The Nashville Connection on 2nd Avenue where I got a super cute coffee mug for my mom. We then happened upon Leon's Candy. My dad loves candy, so edible souvenirs are the way to his heart and he loves pralines, which are popular in Nashville. Their homemade caramels are mind-blowing.

Cotton Eyed Joe was our next stop, so I could find post cards and a magnetic frame. I was impressed with the selection of souvenirs and the low costs, despite it being on Broadway and 2nd Avenue.

We stopped by Savannah's Candy Kitchen and tried their pralines. They have so many different kids of sweets.

We walked through the gift shop at the Ryman Auditorium, debating taking a tour and what to do that night.
There a lady overhead us and said that the Bluebird Cafe was a must see.

Off we headed to the Bluebird Cafe with less than two hours until the show. We waited in line and made friends with a couple from North Carolina. Towards the end, it was getting pretty hot outside. Good thing we brought snacks and drank lots of fluids. Thankfully, we got a table in the ever-cramped cafe. It was singer-songwriter night. There were 26 performing. We shared a table with two songwriters and one of their guests, and another music fan. The talent was off the charts. I literally laughed and cried for 1.5 hours. We heard artists that made us look and each other any say, "I know they'll be famous one day!" I didn't expect their food to be good since they're mainly known for their music, but I was pleasantly surprised. We shared a chicken tender basket and a smoked pork sandwich. The sandwich was really terrific. I tried an Ace pineapple hard cider and I really enjoyed it.

When the show ended, it was still early, so we hit Broadway for one last time. As our beloved George Jones was closed on Mondays, we ended up at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge.

What a great end to a perfect packed 4 days of soaking in such terrific music! I miss Nashville all the time now!

No comments:

Post a Comment