Monday, October 3, 2016

Why I'm Pro-Life: The Beginning of My Story

I've been wanting to share this for years, but my story isn't just mine, but others that I wanted to make sure were comfortable about what I'm sharing. It also took me awhile to find my words and the strength to share my heart with you.

I'm pro-life for many reasons:
1. God gives life; thus, ALL life matters
2. No one asks to be born into the situation and circumstances they come into
3. I was that unplanned baby, born to a single mother with no job or degree

When I say the lives of the unborn matter; I'm saying I mattered when I was unborn and I matter now.

I'm saying that I know babies can be an "inconvenience," but they are a blessing and so was/am I.

I'm not only advocating for their lives, but in a way, I'm advocating for my own life.


My mom was the youngest of 6 children born to a Catholic, suddenly single mother. She was living out of state and in an unstable relationship. She decided to move back home, not knowing that she was moving back with some extra cargo; me.

The timing was all wrong, but she decided to keep me. She kept her pregnancy a secret for 7 months. Once announcing her pregnancy, she was told to abort the baby; me. Even though, I have a terrific relationship with the person who said that; there's still a tinge of pain that there wasn't joy at the announcement of my impending birth, but rather someone trying to help my mom fix a "problem."

My entire life my mom has told me that she always wanted me and that I'm the best thing that's ever happened to her, but for far too long, I've taken the identity of someone that wasn't wanted. I'm coming to realize that some of the surprises in my life have lead to my greatest blessings. While not planned, I was and am wanted. God had and has a plan for my life; things He has for me to do that no one else can accomplish.

So while, I may not have changed your mind on the debate of being pro-life or pro-choice; I hope I've given you a different perspective to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment