Saturday, May 31, 2014

Ireland: Part Two

We stayed at Churchfield Bed and Breakfast. Maeve was a wonderful host. Being new to Ireland weather, we got caught in two rainstorms and she kindly dried our clothes. Her breakfast was amazing! She even let us borrow a converter.

Doolin was a nice small town to get orientated in.
Upon arriving we had lunch and tea at McGann's while waiting to check into our room.

While trying to head out to see the Cliffs of Moher, we saw dozens of cyclist and their sponsor cars zoom by. They were part of the race the Ras which had racers go all around Ireland. It was very cool to see.

The Cliffs of Moher were the site in Ireland I was most looking forward to seeing. They were beautiful! When we first arrived, it was cold and cloudy. Slowly the sun peaked through the clouds; how amazing! I'd never seen anything like the Cliffs. While there, I saw boat tours, a hang-glider, and a helicopter. All quite brave if you ask me. We walked about seven miles to get the best views. Just as we were leaving it started raining. These were my favorite pictures of the day.

There were lots of tourists there the same time we were. There was a group of well-to-do guys in their 50s, one of them said after taking pictures while literally sitting on the edge of the Cliffs, "Now I know what Ansel Adams felt like." It made me laugh, in no way could he ever be close to as adventurous as Ansel Adams. Later, another guy said, "hey, should we take a selfie?" :)

We had a wonderful dinner at O'Connor's Pub: roast beef, mashed potatoes, a parsnip and carrot puree, and peas. My dad got the sea bass. They also had terrific traditional Irish music that night. I loved it! I also, somehow got kissed on the cheek by an old Irishman. Here, I also tried Guiness for the first time. It's a little too hoppy for me. What a great first night! They played this song, The Belle of Belfest City. Good stuff and quite catchy..

No comments:

Post a Comment