Thursday, June 19, 2014

Ireland: Part Nine

In Waterford, we were eager to tour the Waterford Crystal factory and get out of town. What a great tour!!! Too bad I couldn't afford anything there.
We researched other small towns along the way that would be our speed and settled on Kilkenny. Finally things were looking up! We found a cheap, little bed and breakfast and headed out to see the town. We stopped at the first food place we saw the Playwright. We weren't seated five minutes before some guy was asking if we'd been to Watergrasshill recently. Turns out we'd stopped for directions at the pub he works at; small world. So we sat with five young Irish guys. Listening to them talk was like watching a TV show in another language; you understand a word here and there, but it's still entertaining. :) Here's what we pieced together; they had a wild night the night before. One guy fell or something and scratched up his face, hands, and side. According to him, he was now ruined. I think he was exaggerating a bit. They all had funny nicknames. I, of course, developed an afternoon crush on the tall, blue-eyed hottie of the bunch. I'm friends now with one of the guys on Twitter. Now, I have friends in Ireland!

When you travel internationally, do you enjoy small towns or big cities better? I enjoy small towns, because they help me feel more immersed in that country's culture. All big cities seem kind of the same to me; they're kind of generic.

No comments:

Post a Comment