Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Monsoon in Manhattan

Late afternoon and evening Monday, May 4th, the weather here in Manhattan, KS got crazy. The downpour was intense and caused flooding unlike I'd ever seen in my life.
I left work about 5:30 planning to head to the gym. I ran through the rain and jumped over a rover of water that soaked my shoes. So, I decided to go home. On the main road heading home, I saw police lights up ahead. So, I took a shortcut to miss it. Once I met another main road, I saw all the standing water and all the tentative drivers. Here's what I experienced. Just past this, I saw the first stalled car, a muscle car, Dodge Charger. I turned back into the main road home and saw some several stalled cars and lots of water.
Here we see stalled vehicles, mainly muscle cars, and drivers of those cars standing on the median. I was overwhelemed with the amount of water and was unsure if my small Jetta would survive. As, I trekked on the road ahead seemed a daunting with all the water, so I thought I should try a side street, then decided that wouldn't be the best idea, so I kept going on. There were waves of water hitting my car and I was waiting for water to start to start seeping in my car. I kept praying that I could get home safely.
I live down from a roundabout and as I approached it reminded me of an abandoned carosel at an amusement park. Cars were stuck on it with many up on the curbs. The key part was that nothing was moving. So, I turned down a side street and planned to take a turn down a side street to arrive home, but I saw other cars who had tried that and failed. I kept driving and looking at side streets. I found one and turned down. I was so happy to finally get home!
This one of the scariest things I saw.

To check out the KSHB News website to see my photos on their webpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment