Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Day 1: Lawrence, Kansas

Even though I've lived 1.5 hours from Lawrence, Kansas all my life, I've never spent much time there. They are the location of our rival school, so maybe that's why.

Anyway, earlier this month, I went to Lawrence to work the Western Athletic Conference Track and Field Championship at Rock Chalk Park. That was the first conference meet that I've worked.

The hotel they had us at was the DoubleTree by Hilton Lawrence. I was impressed with the hotel; the staff were great, the rooms were nice, and the bed was perfect. Would definitely stay there again.

To get me started, my friend gave me an intensive list of her favorite places in Lawrence. After a day in the heat working in track, I changed at the hotel, and headed to Mass Street. Mass Street was really eclectic and fun. They had restaurants, clothing stores, dessert shops, as well as running and bicycle stores.

I started with dinner at one of the recommended restaurants, Port Fonda. It is just off of Mass Street. I actually found parking right in front of the restaurant. I was super hungry, so I ordered their shrimp tacos and a roselle margarita. The tacos were fantastic and the margarita was too strong (the bartender watered it down for me). I would recommend that restaurant and can't wait to go back.

From there, I walked around Mass Street and went in to a few shops. I ended up at the Burger Shack at the Casbah for their highly recommended milk shakes. I ordered and loved their Cinnamon Toast Crunk shake. It very much lived up to the hype. I want another one now!

Thus completed my first day in Lawrence; successfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment