Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Outgrowing Friendships

As we get older, life changes. Sometimes, we try to stay friends with people that it just doesn't work with anymore. I've known deep down for awhile that I need to step away from some one-sided friendships, but that's hard to do. It's not easy to step away from someone you've made memories and shared life with. At some point in time, the friendships are no longer beneficial.

The Why?
If you're really not sharing life together anymore, why still be friends?
I want more than to share major life happenings (weddings, baby showers, etc.). If all you're doing is sharing major life happenings and nothing more, what kind of friendship is that?
I realized that I was the one who made all the contact, minus the life happenings invites and that wasn't enough.

Hard Stuff

It's taken me so long to come to this decision, because I always want to be the better person.
Also, the thought of losing a friend is sad. I decided that wasn't a good enough reason and that quality friendships are better than the number of friendships.

What That Means
This doesn't mean that I'm deleting them from Facebook or blocking their calls/texts.
What it does mean is that I'm stepping away from these friendships.
They can make the effort or not. I'm okay losing these friendships. I know they love it when I remember their birthdays, but it sucks that they never remember mine.

I'm a firm believer that people make time for what's important to them. So, I'm making room in my life for people who value friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment