Thursday, December 17, 2020

Book: Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist

I really feel like this pandemic has really provided a slower pace to start assessing if we're living the life we want to live. In many ways, it's been helpful for me to really reassess my life.

What I've kept in my life or added(in no particular order):

-time to work out

-healthy meals

-tracking calories via Noom

-working on my spanish via the app Duolingo

-time to read my Bible (In a journal, I'm summarizing what each passage/chapter is saying and write what the application for my life is) and pray using a prayer journal

-creative hobbies (blogging and diamond painting currently)

-writing down three things I'm thankful for each day

at least eight hours sleep

communicating with friends and family

I've also been reading the book, Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist.

The heart of what she's saying is essentially the quote below:

Shauna encourages readers to focus on what's important and to say no to those things that shift your time and focus away from your priorities. It seems so easy to do, but it isn't. I would definitely recommend the book, Present Over Perfect. It helps you realize what's most important to you and to not feel guilty for prioritizing your life. So many of us run at breakneck speed to get "everything" done and it becomes a vicious cycle that never ends. Thankfully, we can end that unhealthy routine. While I'm not enjoying the pandemic, I am enjoying the slower pace and I hope you are too.

The author also encourages readers to say yes to things you're scared to do, but that align with what's important to you. Don't be too scared to live and step out of your comfort zone.

Another key thing Shauna covered was getting rid of things you don't use. She used the example that she prefers wearing blue, white, gray, white, and black. She never wore any other colors in her wardrobe, so she got rid of things she just wasn't wearing. She also pared down her kitchen by focusing on keeping white and silver colored dishes and tools. I think that what she said makes sense. Many of us buy things we think we should wear or use, but then we don't. Once you get rid of those things, you have more room for what use you and you feel more free. Over the quarantine, while at my parent's house, I'm getting rid of childhood/unused craft supplies. Who knew such old things could bump up my bank account?! I've also gone through my shoes and clothes. I'm hoping to move to a house within the next year, so getting rid of things I don't use is going to make it easier. Also, why keep things I'll never use at my parent's house? Why not go through them now when I have the time? Use your time wisely now.

No comments:

Post a Comment