Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Giver

While most people I know read the book, the Giver in high school, I was never required to read it. It was on the list of books that are going to be made into movies, this year. I read a little about the book and thought it sounded interesting. It was a really easy, short read. Roughly, 175 pages. Took me under a week to read it.

It's about a community where you get matched with a spouse if you want one, you request kids and get them (no more than two), and you're all told from an early age what career you'll follow. You're not allowed to ask questions and everyone blindly follows whatever expectations are placed on them in regards to their job. If an infant isn't progressing fast enough, they're "released." Everyone assumes that means they're turned over to another community, but no one really asks. Once someone gets old, they're also "released." Finally, someone accepting a new position challenges the "way it's always been." It had a decent ending, but everyone who knows me, knows I'd have liked more closure. :)

Also, on the list of books being made into movies was, A Long Way Down. I tried it and only made it a couple of pages in. It was a bit too dark for me.

Now, I'm reading, Allegiant, the last book in the Divergent series. Love those books; can't wait for the movie!

Are you reading anything new? Anything interesting? Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment