Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Recipe #7: Red Velvet Poke Cake

I've been waiting to try this recipe from Pinterest since summer and finally I had a potluck to go to.

Ingredients were pretty simple:
-Red velvet cake mix; eggs, oil, water
-2 boxes of cheesecake pudding
-whip cream
-chocolate sandwich cookies

Essentially, it's like a poke cake, which I'm a pro at. I've never tried making a poke cake with pudding instead of Jello.

It was pretty easy to make and I followed the directions this time. ;)

The recipe:


Here's how mine progressed:

1. You make the red velvet cake mix according to the directions on the box:

2. You let it cool for several hours. Then you poke holes in it. When making a poke cake with Jello, I would use a fork to make the holes. With the recipe, I used a wooden skewer stick. Unlike with a poke cake, the pudding doesn't completely soak up into the cake. So, just smooth it out on top and put it in the fridge to set a little.

3. After an hour or so, I smoothed on the whip cream which I'd allowed to defrost on the counter.

4. Next, I added 6-8 sandwich cookies in a ziplock bag and put that in a larger ziplock bag. From there, I smashed the cookies to mid-size chunks. Then I added them to the top of the dessert.


I received several good comments on it. I didn't try it that night. I gave some to friends and my dad. They all really enjoyed it. My dad asked for seconds! I tried it and LOVED it. It feels somewhat light, but very flavorful. This picture kind of shows the layers. I'll definitely be making this recipe again!

No comments:

Post a Comment