Monday, September 2, 2013

Italy Part 1

In May of 2012, I got to go to Italy. It was the trip of a lifetime! I went for 10 days with a friend I met in college. We picked to visit Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence and Rome.

Stop 1: In Milan, I received my first stamp in my passport! My friend picked Milan since it's known for fashion. We were kind of bored by Milan, but they did have the nicest Duomo.

Stop 2: Venice was unusually cold and rainy. Here I experienced my first EARTHQUAKE! It was our first night there. Sometime early morning, my friend shook my arm and said that someone was breaking into our room. I listened for a second and realized the bed and furniture were rocking. At first I thought earthquake, but I didn't think Italy had earthquakes. So, I finally said, "I think it's an earthquake." We sat in silence until it stopped about 45 seconds later. I heard sirens sound, but didn't hear people going outside. We'd had such a hard time getting into our building, I was scared to vacate the building and not be able to get back in. So, I did what I thought was logical; I smelled for gas and checked to see if the building was shifting or anything. Then, I went back to sleep. About an hour later, we felt one of two aftershocks. It wasn't until later that morning that we were able to confirm with locals that it had been an earthquake. We happened to be in Venice while they were having the American Cup, so it was crazy crowded and getting a water taxi to nearby Murano was nearly impossible. The Grand Canal was much wider than I thought it would be. I thought it'd be 10 feet wide or something like that. Nope, it had to of been nearly a mile wide.
While in Venice, we also took a trip to nearby Murano which is known for glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment