Saturday, January 10, 2015

Tonsillectomy, Part 2

I did some research ahead of time in preparation for my surgery. I stockpiled:
-Jello
-Pudding
-Frozen fruit
-Popsicle mold
-Juice
-Applesauce
-Gatorade
-Noodles
-Sodium-free chicken and beef broth
-Popsicles
-Etc.

I went for surgery, Monday, January 5th at the Manhattan Surgical Center. I've had several procedures there before. I checked in at 7:15 am for a 8:30 am surgery. The nurses were all really nice, which isn't always the case. My IV went in with very little pain, which was a pleasant surprise. The surgery was estimated to be 30 minutes to an hour. I was out in just under 30 minutes. The doctor told my parents it was a good thing I had my tonsils removed as when he took them out theyere were oozing. They weren't sent to From there I went to the recovery recliner area they gave me a popsicle slushy and I asked for water. Right away there were my parents. I had to spend about three hours in recovery during which time I had two slushies, three waters, and half a lemon-line drink. They were thrilled that I was drinking so much and so quickly. I felt pretty good and the time flew by.

I got home and slept for hours. Mid-afternoon, I ate a little applesauce. That wasn't acceptable to my tummy, so out that went. Then I tried egg drop soup jello. That went even worse. Next thing, I knew there was some fresh blood with it, which was on the list of things that required a trip to the hospital. I called my doctor and he said I should go to make sure, that he would let them know I was coming and that he'd see what they thought and we'd go from there. Mercy Regional Health Center has the worst check-in process. They get general info, send you to triage until someone decides to come see you, then send you back to registration for insurance stuff, etc. Next, you get to go to a room to wait until a nurse decides to see you. What they came up with was that I was probably dehydrated and had probably thrown up the pain meds. So, they started an IV to give me fluids and pain meds. Since the blood was dried and not fresh, they decided I was good to go. I was probably there for 3 hours.

I headed to bed once I got home and was woken up every few hours for meds. Thankfully, it was a pretty uneventful night.

Day one, check!

No comments:

Post a Comment