Thursday, January 29, 2015

Goodbye Cable

After talking about it for months, I've gotten rid of cable. I was driven to it by the rising cost of cable. My cable and internet bill was $125 a month. So, after talking with friends who use services like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime I decided to make a change. It'll take a lot of getting used to, but the savings are enormous.

Generally, you can stream through your laptop or DVD player. In my case, my two year old DVD player wasn't one of the ones I could stream off of. This was an issue for me since I'd have to stream off my laptop and you can't use your laptop and stream at the same time. So, I went to Wal-Mart and talked to a very helpful employee in electronics. He said I could buy Chromecast and stream from that while being able to use my laptop. I didn't know this, but Chromecast is something you put into the USB drive of your TV. It was $35, so it seemed like a decent deal, compared with not being able to use my laptop. Chromecast doesn't work with Amazon Prime, so I bought a short HDMI cord for use with that. For all supplies, minus service, I paid $44. Hulu Plus is $7.99/month and Amazon Prime is $99/year. Any way you cut it, it's a huge savings.

Click here for an interesting article "8 Things You Didn't Know Your Chromecast Could Do"

Here's an article that made me think through the saving from switching from cable.

I think, I'll enjoy the switch and money saved. Maybe I'll even watch a little less TV...

In case you want to see what I'm up to on Pinterest:
Visit Myranda's profile on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment