Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Car Wrecker

I think I saw the car wrecker, last night when I was out with friends and no I didn't say hi. Here's how we met:

Over spring break probably three or four years ago, I was coming back from a mission trip in Mexico. I'd spent over a week at an orphanage in Reynosa, Mexico. Mainly, we painted the whole week and spent time with the precious kiddos. I'd flown out of KC and the weather leaving had been treacherous to say the least. Coming back, it was sleeting. I was tired and listening to the K-State play in the Elite 8; it wasn't looking good for us. I was heading at the toll plaza in Topeka. I was behind a huge, white truck with duallies. I was pulling forward as the truck was leaving the toll plaza. Then suddenly the truck stops and quickly goes in reverse, crunching into my Jetta. Who goes in reverse at a toll plaza? Apparantly, as he was pulling out, the toll worker said he was short on his toll fee.

We pull off the highway and exchange info. He's stationed at Fort Riley and he's Air Force.

He calls sometime that week. His dad own an autobody shop, he wants to order the parts and fix it himself (new front bumper and grill). I tell him I'll think about it. Next thing you know, he calls and says he's ordered the parts. He goes back home, gets the parts, and we settle on a time/place to meet. We meet at his friend, J's place near my house. He's late. I learn that this is the norm. His friend and I chat while I wait. I feel like his friend is trying to sell him to me.

That next weekend is my birthday and my friend and I see J out and we have a really good time two-stepping.

My car is nearly done, we just have to meet a few more time to touch-up the paint. We start talking more and soon the four of us go out. He and I went to the movies once. I found out he was Mormon and realize that won't work, no matter how cute he is. There are some other dramaful things, but essentially things don't end well. At least my car is as good as new.

No comments:

Post a Comment