Sunday, August 25, 2013

My First Memory

Ever have a food or beverage trigger a memory from long ago? Maybe even something you'd forgotten? Well, it happened to me and it triggered my very first memory which is also my very first memory of my grandma.

Several years ago, I went to a coffee shop with a friend. I looked at the menu and saw "Honey Milk." This seemed familiar from when I was little, so I ordered it.

In my first sip, I was transported back over 20 years in time. All of a sudden, I'm an infant. The house is dark, except for the glow of the light over the stove. It is early morning. Once again I am sick, but I feel safe and warm; my grandma is holding me, soothing me. She made me honey milk to help me feel better. It's warm, sweet, and soothing too.

I had forgotten everything about that time until my first sip of honey milk.

My mom was a single mother. We lived with my grandma. Grandma worked 2nd shift at the hospital on post. She'd come home and see my exhausted mom up late with me again, because I was sick. So, she'd send my mom to bed, saying that she'd stay up with me since she needed to unwind anyway. We'd both drift off to sleep, me cuddled against her neck.

What a perfect first memory; feeling warm and loved with my grandma. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment