Saturday, December 28, 2013

Sacrifice

I've grown up near a military town (Fort Riley, Kansas) my whole life. I've had family members that have served in the military, as well as friends. I have a great respect for our military members, their families, and our veterans.

In my first job, I was able to see a snapshot of the highs and lows that our military members face. I went to redeployment ceremonies and despite not knowing anyone coming back, I felt the surge of emotion and anticipation. What an experience! You see people trying to find their family members amongst a sea of fatigues in formation. Parents are seeing their newborn babies for the first time, it's beautiful. To share the joys, you should also share the sorrows. Nothing could have prepared me for the first memorial service I went to on post. As community members, I went with coworkers to show our support. What I experienced has shaped my view that every American should attend a military memorial service and a redeployment ceremony. It changed my life. I cried for the sacrifice of someone I'd never known who paid the price for my freedom with their life. I heard of the character, family, and life of the Soldier. I heard the pain of the loss of those who knew him. I was touched by the military traditions. It was everything I could do to hold myself together through role call and I can't think of anything else more painful to hear. I could describe it, but to experience it literally shook my world. The 21 gun salute outside the chapel, made me and others jump. Lastly, as you file out of the chapel by the boots, rifle, and dogtags of the deceased; each Soldier stops and salutes. It's a very solemn, respectful moment. I stopped said a prayer for their family and left changed. The experience gave me more empathy and a snapshot into the realities of war and what sacrifice really means. I give money to causes I believe in, but some give their lives. As the saying goes, freedom isn't free. I'm thankful to live near a military base; it's changed me as a person and I'm grateful for it. I'm grateful for the numerous friends I've made during their time at Fort Riley; they've all enriched my life. I've made some friends that I know I'll always have.

I finally watched Act of Valor with the fam, tonight. What a great movie! It made me reflect on the incredible sacrifice and training of our military. It's about Navy Seals. Obviously, there was lots of violence, but I still recommend the movie. At the end of the movie, they quoted a beautiful passage by Tecumseh that I'd never heard. Well, you all know I love quotes, so here it goes:


Yes, the movie and Tecumseh's words made me cry. It made me think of the sacrifice of our military and their family; grateful.

So, thinking of sacrifice I'd can't help but think of the sacrifice of Christ on the cross for my sins. Dying for people who don't deserve it and who hated him; that's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment