Friday, November 29, 2013

What I'm Thankful For

I literally could spend hours listing all my blessing, because they are many. I'll try to keep this short and sweet.
I'm thankful for:

my parents; I haven't always appreciated them, but God has given me many circumstances that have helped me realize how blessed I am to have them in my life. When my dad had a TIA (pre-stroke), I realized just how much of a hole would be missing in my life without him. Whatever sense of humor I have; I got it from him. Any car maintenance, moving, or support I need he's always there, ready to lend a hand. His cancer bout several years ago brought us all much closer. Though he'll never be quite the same from the surgery, I'm just happy he's still here. My mom is the calm, steady rock in our family. Her lung disease diagnosis last year rocked our world. Despite the pain and lack of energy, she was still positive. What a blessing. We're all living with a new normal, but the point is that we're still living. Just over five years ago, I faced an trying nine months of doctors doing many test but not knowing what was wrong with me. Between the pain and steriods I didn't feel like myself. My parents had to help me with everything; carrying my groceries, opening things for me, and they drove me to every out-of-town doctors appointment and there were many. Rheumatoid arthritis has been a difficult journey, but I'm thankful for the company God has given me along the way. I'm so blessed that I get to see my parents at least once a week. I love going home!

my grandma; she's a strong woman. When I feel too old to do something, I remember that in her mid-30s with 6 kids, she put herself through nursing school to become an LPN and make a better life for her family. Despite being on a fixed-income, she is always generous with whatever she has. It doesn't matter what time you come to her house she always offers you food and drink; you never leave hungry. She's also pretty wise; always reminding me to "take it one day at a time" and to pray and ask the Lord for help.

both sides of my family which are really close. I know, if I ever needed anything they'd be right there ready to help. Over the years, I've realized not all families are like this.

our fur faces, Max and Riley. They're always happy to see me when I come home, but then again, they're always pretty happy. Reminds me to enjoy the simple things like the sunshine, time together with friends or family, fresh air, a treat, or a nap. ;)

my job; through it I get to impart on students what I'm passionate about: workforce development/professional development. I've also made great friends through my job. In just over a year, I've had experiences I never would've dreamed of: grad school, being in a commercial, and being a K-State Track and Field official. I'm definitely blessed to be at K-State.

friends. Though my friends are ever-cycling out of town, I'm thankful for the time I've had with each of them. I appreciate their perspectives and companionship on this journey through life.

In no way whatsoever, is this a complete list of everything I'm thankful for; like stars in the sky, my blessings are innumberable.

No comments:

Post a Comment